Monday, January 5, 2009

Zack's 'had it' with bloggers

The image “http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/C1D7A7ED-7A8E-4F99-B166-07673F0B45C1/0/ZackMatheny85px.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors. Might as well start out this blog...hard-core.

Is it me, or is Greensboro City Councilman Zack Matheny (Dist. 3) a little pompous?

I'm reading my friend Guarino's interpretation of Matheny's recent comments at the last City Council meeting following the broad-daylight, unsolved shooting death of a Brinks Armored Truck guard at Friendly Center, and I must say, Matheny sounds rather arrogant. Matheny says he's "had it" with those "bashing" City Council, the City Manager and the Police Department.

Zack, let's give credit where credit is due, and let's criticize where criticism is due. The rank and file who wear the badge and the uniform daily are to be respected. My father worse the badge and uniform everyday when I grew up in Chicago. They are to be revered.

But when there's a crime problem that is out of control and you and your other cronies on City Council aren't doing a damn thing about it, something is wrong. This is not about locking our car doors and closing our garages...this is about employees who work at our banks and worry about getting robbed at gunpoint...which happens frequently in this city, Zack. This is about long-time convenience store owners who are robbed at gunpoint frequently, Zack. This is about citizens just simply getting money out of an ATM at night and are robbed...sometimes kidnapped at gunpoint, Zack. This is about your inability to do your job, Zack.

This is not about Greensboro bloggers, sir.

E.C. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well stated, Mr. Huey. We need leaders with vision, leaders who admit that there are problems that need attention. Some of our council members appear to come to the meetings to applaud themselves. Think Zack, Yvonne, Sandra, Robbie, Goldie. Maybe not Dianne. She isn't exactly a groupie. Why don't you think about running? We need fresh blood. This incest on the council isn't working out.

Erik "E.C." Huey said...

Heh...don't tempt me :)

Anonymous said...

Rather than criticize Zack or the city, I'm going to offer a suggestion. Have you seen how long the list of warrants for arrest is for the GPD? I'm in favor of taking cops off speed traps, swat, bomb squad, etc... for a couple of weeks to go round these people up. Prioritize the list, and hit the ground running, many of them are committing more crimes as we speak and we will probably catch them doing something illegal or in possession of stolen goods in the process. If the jail fills up go get some dog lots at Lowe's and fill up the Canada Dry Building.

Erik "E.C." Huey said...

Good point, Anonymous. We need a back-to-business, full-fledged focus on crime prevention in this city. And it has to happen soon.

Anonymous said...

I would like to say that there is an apparent problem in this city related to "crime confusion". I am a graduate of A & T University & I am appalled to read in todays N & R, that the DA does not find that a crime was committed there, with the hundreds of thousands of dollars that were taken frauduantly, by the former chancellor & others. What does this say to the youth attending this university? If the DA doesn't see a crime there, then maybe he should just drop all charges against all the people locked up in the county jail. I was brought up to believe that a crime is a crime, be it a cold blooded murder or robbing funds out of a university. I am a registered nurse licensed in NC. If I give a toxic does of IV medicine and the patient dies, I'm responsible. Sure I didn't intend to kill the patient, I just misunderstood the dosage. Does this mean I'm innocent? No, I'm guilty, because it was my responsibility to know the safe dosage & if I didn't take the time to verify it, then that is negligence. I would at the least, lose my nursing license & likely be found guilty of manslaughter. These clowns that took all the money at A & T knew what they were doing & if they didn't, why not? I got a request in todays mail requesting donations to A & T and Iplaced it in the round file.