Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Local names line up to challenge GSO City Councilmen; mine is NOT one of them...yet

The image “http://mm.news-record.com/drupal/files/imagecache/nrcom_article_image_landscape/files/Images/Voters_skip_state__local_races.jpeg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

(photo credit N&R)

Courtesy of YES! Weekly: a rundown as to who will be entering this year's City Council races thus far:

At-large:
Julie Lapham, Mayor Yvonne Johnson's former campaign manager
Marikay Abuzuaiter, who was beaten two years ago by a nose

Dist. 2:
Councilman Goldie Wells (who was a big cheerleader of the protest petition vote) will retire; Triad Apartment Association interim executive director Ray Trapp announced plans to run for her seat. TAA is part of the TREBIC lobby.

Dist. 3:
Councilman Zack (I hate bloggers) Matheny will run again; he will be challenged by Cyndy Hayworth in a rematch of two years ago.

Dist. 4:
Councilman Mike Barber intends to run again, but continuing speculation abounds as to whether he will challenge Mayor Johnson for the top spot.

Teresa Jobe and Joel Landau are ramping up plans to run.

And Dist. 5:
I can confirm that speculation is mounting as to whether or not I will challenge Trudy Wade in Dist. 5. To cease any ongoing speculation, I will not have any pending announcements before March, as to my political plans for this year.

I appreciate your ongoing support of me and my blogs, and your anticipated confidence in me to serve the citizens of Greensboro's Dist. 5.

Teresa Jobe makes a good point to YES! Weekly...she said:
"I don’t think that because of where they [city council] are and how long they’ve been on council, they’re able to come up with fresh ideas, and we need more youth and more ordinary people on the council."

She's right.


E.C. :)


No comments: