Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I will NOT be running for City Council...there; I said it

http://www.thiscenturysucks.com/images/voting_machine_joke.jpg

This is an on-the-record statement...I will not be running for Greensboro City Council this year.

After much thought and consultation with my family, and for many other reasons that I will keep close to the vest, I feel as though another lengthy run for local political office is just not possible right now.

I appreciate many of you who wanted to see me enter the District 5 race. I have a good deal of respect for Trudy Wade and I wish her the best as she has stated previously that she will run again for reelection. But I would like to see a bit more from the elected representative of D-5. I would like that representative to be more visible in the ward, to communicate better among its constituents, to take more of a proactive focus among public safety and crime, attacking our local economy and jobs, creating sustainable-not runaway/reckless-development, and doing what needs to be done to put Greensboro back on the map. I would like to see water rates frozen, not increased. I would like to start hearing of a tax cut, not tax increases, I would like to see and hear more about how we're going to diversify Greensboro's economy further, and lessen the focus on manufacturing.

I would not mind seeing new leadership in this post. Trudy Wade is a political powerhouse. But in my opinion, this city NEEDS fresh leadership with new ideas and new visions to move this city forward. We're here, and we're ready to step up to the plate on our local Boards and Commissions to make that happen...we just need a chance to do just that.

There are many who want me to consider running again for School Board next year (at-large). As I just did, I will make the appropriate evaluation at the appropriate time, and if I feel the citizens will benefit from new leadership in that position, then an announcement will be made. But not anytime soon.

Instead, I tend to continue nurturing my flagship blog, Guilford School Watch, continue growing Triad Media Watch, and make this blog, GreensboroMetro a part-time blog-with a full-time focus on the come-what-may around town.

I thank all of you for your readership and support, both past, present and future.

E.C. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erik,
I met you at the G66 precinct and enjoy your new blogs.
The last thing we need right now is for different representation in D5. Trudy, along with fellow former county commissioners Mike Barber and Mary Rakestraw are the best friends the taxpayers in the city of Greensboro have.
Greensboro: For a clean shave vote BARBER for mayor!

Anonymous said...

Due to Cancer - Crawford has indicated he won’t re-run in District 4
, Deep Roots Market general manager Joel Landau is a good pick.