Friday, January 9, 2009

In-Action Greensboro

The image “http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:xUG9BKLXqIJzEM:http://www.greensboroconnects.com/img/GsoConnects-logo1.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors. This is a noble meeting from Action Greensboro:

We've heard from many folks that they plan to attend the Action Greensboro Groundbreakers meeting on Monday, January 12 from 5:30 - 7:00pm to discuss our Phase II plan of work: Building on Our Strengths. The meeting will be held at the West Market Street United Methodist Church in the Fellowship Hall, which you enter from 312 West Friendly. A light supper will be served.

In case you've been waiting to make up your mind, there is still time to RSVP yes, that you want to take part in this discussion. In view of the current economic downturn, Action Greensboro's original mission to bring more and better paying jobs to Greensboro is more timely than ever! But this kind of conversation works best with many viewpoints, so please do join us.

Click here to RSVP: jmorton@actiongreensboro.org. Thanks!
*****************************
But since I work nights, I'm unable to attend.

Hence, my letter moments ago to Judy Morton at Action Greensboro:

RE: the invitation on the Action GSO Phase II meeting this coming Monday evening

Judy:

Thank you for your invitation regarding this meeting. And while I think this meeting is important, I unfortunately will be unable to attend.

I work a service job at night. I also substitute teach and tutor during the day. I don't make a lot of money, but I work these jobs because our region has failed our young professionals by not bringing in companies that will provide enough professional job opportunities to help sustain this economy and halt the brain-drain.

So despite having a college degree and years of journeymans experience both writing and communicating, it means nothing in this area. I work the jobs I'm asked to do and where I'm asked to do them because my family has to eat...and there are a lack of companies in this area having the kind of work I'm used to doing.

The city's political machine needs to understand that this area cannot and will not sustain its economy on $9/hour service jobs. And this recession we've experienced here in the Triad has gone on for far too long without substantive discussion. Unfortunately, they don't understand that. And since this is a municipal election year, those that hold power locally who continue to have blinders on will find themselves threatened at the ballot box in the fall. And that's not a thinly-veiled threat...that's a promise.

We cannot talk about fixing public education or our crumbling roads or building sidewalks or creating a green economy...until we fix the stagnant local economy we have now.

And while I look forward to helping out in any way I can (especially with regards to public education, as a former Guilford Co. School Board candidate from last year), a LOT remains to be done...and is not getting done.

And now...I'm done. I have to get ready for my 5pm-2am shift.

Erik "E.C." Huey
editor:
http://guilfordschoolwatch.blogspot.com/
http://greensborometro.blogspot.com/
http://triadmediawatch.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicely Done E.C.!!!