Monday, January 12, 2009

Yvonne's in...and who else?

The image “http://gcms0004.co.guilford.nc.us/elections_cms/images/static/cmslogo2.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors. Time to open up the political watch for this year, as we'll analyze who decides to run for City Council this year.

http://www.wunc.org/tsot/archive/sot1210a07.mp3/image_mini The Troublemaker's Ben Holder is reporting that Mayor Yvonne Johnson will likely announce a run for a second term this year. Personally, I haven't been too terribly impressed with the mayor's leadership, particularly with what's happening down at City Hall. I would have liked to see her exert more leadership.

Of course, some would say that she has been part of the problem.

Who would you like to see run against her?

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/2F4F5949-7245-4FAC-82CF-84F59F96F88E/0/CityCouncil.jpg

And what about the rest of City Council....who would you like to see enter the races this year?

I'm hearing rumblings that there may be some possible opposition lining up for Zack Matheny and Goldie Wells.

And to the commenter who challenged me here recently to run for City Council...

While I'm flattered, I'll say this much...running for City Council is actually starting to sound very tempting, given the current environment that exists downtown. Trudy Wade is my councilman, and she really hasn't impressed me at all in two years. In my honest opinion, she's another ex-Guilford County Commissioner who loves being in power and that's about it. I feel it is time for the ex-commissioner to retire from politics and open up the seat to a citizen who can shake things up downtown.

I feel a change is warranted not only for District 5, but for Greensboro as a whole. Therefore, I will be exploring the issues both in-depth, and in greater detail, from jobs and crime to economic development and taxes. I'm already starting to do that here, via GreensboroMetro. And judging by the number of visitors in the first few days of this blog, I appreciate your support.

I will have to sit down with my family to see if another run for public office is in the best interest of our household right now. And after that conversation, if I feel as though I can be of service of some capacity for the citizens of District 5, then an announcement will be made at the appropriate time. But right now, I'm enjoying writing GreensboroMetro and analyzing the come-what-may around town. And there's no shortage of stuff to cover and comment and write about.

E.C. :)

No comments: