Monday, February 23, 2009

A new face in the war on the brain-drain

The image “http://philip9876.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/brain-drain.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
Erin Stratford is the new face in Action Greensboro's war on stopping the brain-drain. In a new video posted on its blog, Springboard, Stratford (in her own words) describes why she returned to her native Greensboro from New York City where she lived for 12 years. She works in nonprofits and philanthropy.

"A young person is welcomed," Stratford says of Greensboro, adding "The city cares about nurturing that population here."
********************************

Contrast that to the typical newcomers experience here, such as Lana Lopez, wife of News & Record reporter Robert Lopez, who briefly and publicly described his wife experience of moving here and settling in since almost this time last year; I profiled Lopez in a brief mention back in January:

My job here has treated me well, my paycheck having grown a little fatter when I made the move. But my wife, Lana, and I still took a financial hit, mainly because I'm the only breadwinner in the house -- well, apartment, as we're still trying to save for a down payment and waiting for the housing market to bottom out.

Lana joined me in Greensboro in March and has been looking for a job since. She's tried applying at schools, government offices, call centers, stores, restaurants and staffing agencies, the last of which I wouldn't recommend for anyone unless they enjoy jumping through hoops for a chance at a mediocre-paying job. She's received a few callbacks, but thus far no wages.

******************************

And then contrast that to my situation where I moved here in early 2000, got laid off after 9/11, moved away in early 2002, moved back in late 2004, and after teaching for a couple of years, suddenly finding myself underemployed.

Not fun.

Here's what I said back in early January:

I work a $9/hour service job...at night. I substitute teach and tutor during the day to supplement my income.

I blog and strategize about local city and county politics and communication projects...in my spare time...for free.

I have a communications/journalism background, previously taught in the public schools, previously worked in Washington and Las Vegas...and I work a $9/hour service job. I work there because my family has to eat. And right now, there are no other professional opportunities in this area. It is sad because I'm here to make a better life for my daughter...to give her the opportunity like I had growing up to be raised in a neighborhood, where she can ride her bike and socialize with her friends from school, etc.

And yet I worry because if she decides to matriculate through school here, she may not have a job waiting for her here; she may do like all of our other young professionals...and leave. It is sad.

This is very typical of many many households across our city, our county, our area...even our state.

*************************

Quality of life will bring our young professionals back, quality of life will keep our college grads here. Jobs is a quality of life issue.

E.C. :)

No comments: