Thursday, March 26, 2009

Skip Skip Skip...blah, blah, blah

http://www.co.guilford.nc.us/images/commissioners/alston.jpg Some call our Guilford County Board of Commissioners, "a circus." Well if it's a circus, then Skip must be the Ringmaster. Because to me, it is the laughing stock of the state.

Commission chairman Melvin "Skip" Alston speaks candidly to the News & Record this week.

The Inside Scoop:
First, the layoffs, which he and others say ultimately come from interim county manager Brenda Jones Fox.

Tuesday he couldn't say when the layoffs are coming.

"I know when Brenda tells me, because it’s her decision to do RIFs," Alston said Tuesday.

Then, this morning, he seemed to know more than yesterday.

"I know what’s going on, I just ain’t told you yet," he said.

It gets better.

Y'all are going to continue to report what you report, and we’ll just have to agree to disagree. And I’m not going to adhere to you-all’s version of it and I don't have have no problem with that."

oh my god...

"I’m more of best friend of the public than a news reporter is," Alston said Tuesday. "I have volunteered as a public service. I have more commitment and accountability to the public than the newspaper does."

"I don’t see y’all as the public," Alston said of the News & Record. "I see myself and elected officials as the public. We have been sent here, not you all, to do a job on their behalf, after consultation with them, not after consultation with the press."

Well that works both ways...because many don't see you as a commissioner representing the entire county.

John Robinson is discussing this also.

The answer to this nonsense? My friend Keith Brown suggests a smaller Board of Commissioners; I mentioned this a few days ago:

...let's talk about having a real accountable county commissioners. First get the number of them down from 11 to 9. Then have a true representation and accountability to have 5 districts and 4 at large so that each area can vote out 5 people if they are not satisfied with them instead of only 3 in the current make up.
E.C. :)

2 comments:

Triadwatch said...

time to get to work on that post erik

Inspector Clouseau said...

Erik, as you are aware, I have a somewhat different view of the universe. I have a tendency to view things from a systemic perspective.

Here's the deal from my perspective. A governing body is only as good as the tax base on which it relies is capable of generating tax revenues.

Everything, everything, everything in a society is about producing things that people want, have the ability to pay for, and the resultant jobs. Always has been, always will be.

If you do not have productive enterprise in your region, which employs the vast majority of your citizens, then you retrogress to an agrarian society where generating food all day is your primary goal, equal to "survival."