Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Out of tragedy comes triumph

Out of tragedy comes triumph.

It's been a few years since I've flown back home to Chicago (I moved away permanently back in late 1997). But after a relative passed away on my father's side of the family, I found myself flying up late last week. It was good to see my old hometown, even if it was only for a short period.

And while I was well-prepared to blog about seeing my old hometown again and discuss the creative class being very much alive and well in the Windy City and discuss comparisons and contrasts, I got side-tracked.

For the "tragic" part was not the event itself that I flew up for, but what was waiting for me as I opened up the Chicago Sun-Times on my US Airways (shameless plug) flight back to CLT (and ultimately to GSO). It nearly made me sick to my stomach.

A front page story last Thursday reported that over 300 bodies at a southwest Chicago-area cemetery were dug up. Bodies unearthed, like weeds in a field. Burial records destroyed. Plots resold in a massive scheme. Four arrests were made and the FBI has joined the investigation. Chicago Tribune coverage here. The latest from the Cook County Sheriff can be found here.

Normally, I would have read a story like this and would have shook my head...but this was different. See, there is a problem: I have personal ties to this cemetery. And at last count, according to family, I have at least eight relatives buried in this cemetery. Our family counts are continuing.

I shudder the thought of printed pictures like this below (Sun-Times courtesy) where officers from the Cook County Sheriff's Office are combing over the now-shuttered cemetery grounds, hallowed grounds that house remains of my great grandmother and great great grandmother. As of now, we have no information as to if those remains are intact or untouched. We are uncertain if the cemetery's records are intact or destroyed. My family back in Chicago has no information at all.

The image “http://media1.suntimes.com/multimedia/g071309cemetery2_cst_feed_20090713_02_45_31_2579-400-377.imageContent” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors. Talk about a unique kind of stress.

The cemetery, now closed due to the gruesome crime scene that exists there today, is home to many families of color on Chicago's South Side. And as I am quickly educating myself on the history of Burr Oak Cemetery, and its unique relationship to predominantly black funeral homes on Chicago's South Side, I'm constantly reminded that out of tragedy comes triumph.

Triumph in the sense that even though my family is scattered across the country, we're brought together in times of tragedy such as this. And we're made stronger.

While the shock hasn't quite hit yet, the anger is starting to grip me. How could human beings with a conscience do this? How could something like this be allowed to happen? It is my hope and prayer that these questions will be answered in time.

But for now, I'm left to wonder what is happening 600 miles away. We're all left to wonder why and how. And we're left to ask questions...hoping to get answers.

Answers will come. I'm hopeful and prayerful.

E.C. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is horrible that historic Burr Oak Cemetery was desecrated in such an evil manner. My sympathy to the family members of the deceased. The national spotlight on the plight of this cemetery may cause people to take a closer look at cemeteries in their area. YES, desecration occurs in other cemeteries -- nothing as horrible as Burr Oak -- but isolated vandalism, invasive maintenance and restoration procedures have occurred in this county. Everyone needs to visit the graves of their ancestors and take a close look. Burial custom in this country is eroding. Many people see financial gain in historic cemeteries and burials. Laws protecting cemeteries are non-existant or ignored. Grave markers are discarded, trashed, graves are violated, burial grounds are used as parking lots, grave markers as pathways and other atrocities that are just too horrid for me to recount at the moment.